Thursday, June 5, 2014

Six Impossible Things



In January, I started a practice of keeping track of the "impossible" things I did/believed to advance my writing in the world.  Every month, at the end of the month, I send the list I've kept all month to my trusted writing partners.  

In work for someone else, there are always benchmarks, checklists, to-do lists.  But as a writer, I work for some as-yet-to-be-determined reader.  No one tells me what to do and when to do it. That's the joy of being a writer.  And, perhaps, also the pain. 

So, my six impossible things list, which included twenty-one impossible things one month and only six another, has helped me treat my work with the respect and attention it deserves. And it's always nice to have someone say, "Keep up the good work." 

I'm not the first to come up with this idea, but I did come up with it on my own.  You can find Six Impossible Things groups, clubs, and gatherings online if you don't have your own wriitng group handy.  

As we move into summer, it seems to me that this practice would be useful even for young people embarking on summer vacation.  What impossible thing would you like to accomplish this summer? What impossible steps will you take to make it happen? Who might dream up impossible things with you?  Invite them along, before breakfast.  

Much Love, Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment