Saturday, November 2, 2019

Doubts and Decisions


Piles and piles of drafts, copyright Lori Gravley
I planned a new romance in early October, got my characters down, laid out my primary beats. I was ready for NaNo early because I had to travel beginning on Oct. 16.  

Then, I had time to think, and a new world began to form in my head.  A series of novels that would fit more readily in line with my brand for young people--interesting characters, a vivid world--ohhh, exciting.  So, I did some character development and decided I’d just pants a little with my beat cards (the note cards I have the describe each of the beats in general, I’ll talk about these in a later post).  

Last night was kick off, and . . . I wrote 1300 words.

Every single word felt like a struggle.  I went to sleep asking why. I often do this as sleep gives me answers that I sometimes can't find in the bustle of awakeness.  

When I woke up this morning, I realized it’s because though I love to write new things, love to create new characters and worlds, what I really need to do this year is to tend the old ones.  

In the past ten years, I have written: 

  • twenty-five picture books
  • one chapter book
  • four poetry chapbooks.
  • two full-length poetry collections
  • one verse memoir
  • two medieval mysteries for middle grade (in a series)
  • two adult romances (with an entire world and possibilities for more)
  • two paranormal mid-grade novels (in a four-book series)
  • two stand-alone middle-grade contemporary novels
  • a book about putting a poetry collection together
  • a book of essays on writing
  • a memoir about marriage
I have revised some of these projects upwards of forty times. I have sent them out sporadically, but still:
  • I do not have an agent. 
  • I do not have a book in the world. 
  • I do not have a contract for a book. 
I woke up knowing that my plans for this month needed to change.  My world and my characters won’t go away, but writing my 41st book wasn’t actually going to move my career forward.  

And I do want a career in writing.  I love the rush of energy that comes from creating a new world, it’s that post-partum joy of being a new mother that is such a rush.  But if I just keep pushing these babies out without helping them grow to adulthood, I’m doing my darlings and myself a disservice.  So, I’m announcing right now that this year, I’m a rebel.  

I will rewrite the book that I’ve been trying to rewrite for a year, Wild Things.  It’s a book I love and that I think might have a place in the MG contemporary market.  As a reward, I’ve told my world and characters that I will give them January and February to come alive in this world. 

After all, I’ll need something to do while I’m sitting around waiting to hear from agents about Wild Things.  

No comments:

Post a Comment